- When Is it Time to Tell My Loved One I Believe They Need a Caregiver? (with a checklist of signs your loved one may need support).
- How Can I Prepare for the Role of Caregiver? (with a list of topics to consider and act upon).
- Summary of the medical issues and conditions that may reduce someone’s independence and lead to a need for caregiving.
- Advice for talking to your loved one’s doctors.
- List of challenges that may be faced, and tips to prevent caregiver burnout.
- Tips for talking with the family and for finding a support group.
Other resources for new caregivers (alphabetical by provider)
- Administration for Community Living guide to getting Started on finding caregiving resources (agency is part of the federal Department of Health and Human Services)
- Medicare Provider and Services Search from the federal program allows zip-code based searches for various types of Medicare eligible health providers for older adults, including doctors, hospitals, nursing homes, home health services, hospice, rehab facilities and others
- Michigan service directory: alphabetical listing of 45 services searchable by geography or type of service from the state Department of Health and Human Services.
- Next Step in Care guide to Becoming a Family Caregiver from United Hospital Fund.